Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My roots

So I thought I'd start off this blog by telling a little bit about myself and my faith. I grew up in Fort Worth, Texas where I attended Univeristy Christian Church. UCC is a huge church, with over 3000 active weekly members. In fact it's one of the largest Disciples of Christ congregations in the country. That's not saying much though, the Disciples of Christ denomination of Christianity isn't too large, and a lot of people don't really know what it means.

I'm here to help though. Let me explain. The mission of Disciples of Christ is essentially living the good news of Jesus Christ with open minds and loving hearts. The focus is centered on actions reflecting and representing the teachings of Jesus. It's a very liberal, progressive ministry that extends a welcoming hand to anyone that wishes to join.

And despite being a part of this ministry for my entire life, I don't have a strong knowledge of the Bible like many other Christian foundations. Of course, I know the popular stories like Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, and Moses parting the Red Sea, but for the most part my faith was not born out of knowledge of the Bible. As a Disciple of Christ, my faith is based on expressions of love, compassion, and kindness to others.

If you want to learn more about UCC, I encourage you to check out their website!
http://www.universitychristianchurch.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment