Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Talking Religion

I love taking religion. Absolutely love it. I'm fascinated with what other people believe, and why.

I had the opportunity to engage in one of these conversations today with a man who stopped me and claimed he just wanted to ask me a few questions. Please. I knew this was about to turn into a religious discussion. I even knew we were likely to butt heads, but it didn't bother me. I loved to just hear what he had to say, and I loved to tell him about my beliefs. Sure we differed on just about everything. But it was still fascinating.

Whenever I talk about religion, I try to keep it friendly. A conversation and a learning experience. Not an argument or a conversion. I've learned that this approach helps people feel more comfortable about sharing their beliefs. I've been able to get on really personal levels with people and understand how they perceive life and purpose and everything along those lines.

As you can imagine, nobody's alike. I always hear a different point of view. Some of the most interesting conversations have been with friends that believe in a kind of eternal energy. A natural force beyond our understanding. One that is completely unique to each person, yet connecting us all.

Fascinating stuff.

I can't even wrap my head around that, but I get it. It's hard to explain. But I get where that kind of view comes from. In fact, I think that's because it's sort of a complicated take on my belief of God.

That's probably a blog to save for another day though...

Regardless, I love to hear what everybody has to say. Ultimately, it helps me challenge my own beliefs. It's a learning experience and it's a growing experience. I love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment