Monday, March 25, 2013

Online worship experiences

My site visit paper was primarily focused on the use of technology in worship services. From there, my research led me to a number of interesting topics including online worship. Today, I discovered an article that also divulged into this new phenomenon, and I figured it was time to post about it.

Christianity has expanded to a new realm, the internet. It's worship that still allows for a fully interactive experience. There are sermon videos, live messaging lobbies, and Bible Study. There are even functions to allow for online baptism, and communion.

With all these pieces of a real service, one must ask the question, is it truly a participation in worship?

Maybe. It depends on what it means to worship. We're living in a world now completely dependent on technology, so whether or not it is a proper form of worship, we better start believing it is. It may be the future...

In my opinion, it just can't compare to the experience of hearing a choir echo in the sanctuary, actually taking the bread and wine for communion, or sitting in an aisle with other Christians, all showing up together at the same time to worship. It's a beautiful thing, and in my honest opinion, much of the beauty is lost when you move it to the internet. 

That's just my thoughts though. Check out the article to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment