Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Look at the Gospels

The book I'm reading for the presentation is by Marcus Borg and it is basically a take on reading the Bible in light of its historical and metaphorical context. With that in mind, I've come across some really interesting perspectives and insights. I don't want to give too much away though, I'll give a much broader presentation of everything tomorrow when I present.

 Right here though, I want to include an interesting look at the Gospels. The four Gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, were written in the last third of the first century. At a general level, they are public biographies: accounts of the public life--the message and activity--of Jesus. The Gospels were a product of history remembered and history metaphorized. The Gospels were just these accounts written to certain communities, and that's why there are such contrasts between the books.

This is a fascinating view of the Gospels. It's just one of many insights provided by Borg in his book. I'm excited to present tomorrow and explain many more! I find this stuff to be so interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment