Sunday, February 3, 2013

Mysterious Ways

It may be cliche, but I wanted to talk about a song lyric that really got to me. One of my favorite bands, U2, does a lot of their songs focused on God, life, meaning, and things along those lines. A popular one called Mysterious Ways has a lyric in it that's always struck me as insightful.

"If you want to kiss the sky,
Better learn how to kneel"

What does it mean? Is 'kissing the sky' a reference to heaven? I could see that interpretation, but for me these lyrics talk about trusting, valuing, and worshipping God.

The entire song is focusing on the objectification of women. It looks into the way men often put women on pedestals and idolize them, worshipping them essentially. Sure it's not bowing down to them and kissing their feet, but in the mind of men, occasionally they sees women as flawless. 

I think Bono's lyrics here are conveying how the only thing worthy of worship is God himself.  In my opinion 'Kiss the sky' is a way of saying worshipping. And Bono is really saying that if you're looking to worship something, get on your knees in prayer. Worship the God that's worthy of worship.

I think it's just a really cool, succinct way to sum up the idea in lyrics that no other idols should stand in the place of God, and that only God is uniquely worthy of praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment